We witness a every time a child enters into life. But those who make their journey home across time & miles, growing within the hearts of those who wait to love them, are carried on the wings of destiny and placed among us by God's very own hand
"But now, Lord, what do I look for? My hope is in you." Psalm 39:7

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Questions..


I have found lately that people are asking more questions about Hope's adoption that I am just finding plain odd.....I know most people mean well, and it is just the way they word the question...but still. People should think before speaking.

~"Where did she come from?" I want to answer, "Mars."

~"How much did she cost?" Icky icky way to ask about the cost of Int'l adoption.

~"Did you have trouble loving 'someone else's' child like you love your own" To that I usually answer, "No, because she is all mine"

~"Why did her real parents give her up?" Uh, her real parents are right here in Texas...

~"What do you know about her real parents?" Again, we are right here in Texas, thank you.

~"Is the love the same for her as it is for your real children?" ?? Really?

~"Does she speak Russian?" Well, since she wasn't even 2 when she came home..no, only English.

~"Will she have an accent?" Again, uh, No.

~"Were you having infertility issues, is that why you adopted?" Hm...really? Kind of an odd question. (this was from a perfect stranger!) I politely answered, "No, we didn't have infertility issues, I just don't have a uterus."

~"You should keep footage of the Tori Hansen case so when she gets older and misbehaves, you can tell her you will send her back. That will make her behave for sure!" WHAAAAAT? UNBELIEVABLE!

After all of those inappropriate questions, I look at this smiling face and my world stands still.
She is my sunshine, my giggles, my princess, my snuggles, my laughter, my youngest child....
my daughter!
We love this little girl more than we could ever describe. Her brothers adore every ounce of her. She has completed our family, and for that, we are forever grateful!

~I promise to post a better update. Life has been busy. Connor broke his foot, Hope was sick, we went to Tucson, adopted a lizard, celebrated the 4th with good friends and now Connor leaves for his ambassador trip on Saturday. Life is crazy, wonderful, insane and just plain AWESOME!

~~Kellie

4 comments:

Lindsay said...

This post spoke to me. I've been adoring your blog for a while now but have never left a comment. I am in the process of adopting my sister's 2-year old daughter. She has lived with us since she was 1 and knows no other parents besides my husband and myself. I get the same questions and many people (often family members) still refer to my sister as her mother. I get a lot of, "She looks just like her Mom", meaning my sister. It is hurtful because I am her Mom. Some people don't think before they speak.
You have a beautiful family and a wonderful blog.

Lindsay
www.z-pack.blogspot.com

Party Of Six said...

I love all the pictures! Hope with the kitties is precious! I love reading your blog because I can tell you feel the same as I do and you have a wonderful way of saying it! When I hear all the negative stories on Russian adoption,, I thank God everyday that we didn't listen and went with our hearts and an open mind instead or we would never have our amazing daughter! I honestly never thought I could love someone so much!

Party Of Six said...

I forgot to comment on those questions that we get all the time too! The scary thing is these questions come from adults,, ignorant adults, some who mean well but still,, think before you speak! The one that I think is funny is that people expect her to speak Russian or have an accent and one woman the other day said well maybe as she gets older she will have a Russian accent,, seriously people say/ask the dumbest things! I was adopted and my brother was not,, so people used to ask my parents,, in front of me,, which one was their "real" child!!! It really makes you think that as far as we have come as a society,, people still have a hard time thinking outside of the box! Oh I could go on,, all those questions,, same thing,,,

Laura said...

Kellie: I was perusing my blog going back to April 2009 and read a comment from you. I immediately clicked on your link and became enthralled in your blog --- while gifts and holiday cards await me! Your family photos are absolutely beautiful.

I'll read more soon as our timelines were so parallel (atleast a few weeks between GOTCHA Days) and both our girls are simply blonde angels.

Wishing your entire family a blessed Christmas!

~Laura

Walden Family Year in Review 2010

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
Jer 29:11 (NIV)

Blog Archive